juan won one Saturday, February 02, 2008 |
2wo Friday, February 01, 2008 |
numero threeo Thursday, January 31, 2008 |
IV Wednesday, January 30, 2008 |
funf Tuesday, January 29, 2008 |
6 Monday, January 28, 2008 |
seven Sunday, January 27, 2008 |
Eternal Weight of Glory Wednesday, January 23, 2008 |
I'm going to finish this blog with the words that started it:
 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.  For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,  as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 2 Cor. 4:16-18 (ESV)I'm glad that through the death of Jesus, this life and it's afflictions are only slight and momentary compared to the glory that is to come.
Is this it then? NO!! Stay tuned for a new RSS feed, a new blog and a new adventure!
For Sale: 1993 Hyundai Excel Monday, January 21, 2008 |
Cling to Jesus Sunday, January 20, 2008 |
I've been thinking tonight about what type of legacy I want left after 10 years of youth ministry. While there are lots of positive things that I hope we've left behind, there is one thing that I hope will be a legacy that will last for generations.
It's been said by a number of different church and gospel analysts (it may have come from Phillip Jensen?) that the gospel is never far from being lost from one generation to the next.
- Step 1 - they preach the gospel (here's one clear explanation of the gospel [the goodnews of Jesus])
- Step 2 - they assume the gospel
- Step 3 - they neglect the gospel
- Step 4 - they reject/deny the gospel
I spoke with a number of leaders this afternoon about the need to keep preaching the gospel. Obviously we aim to preach the gospel to the 40,000 Central Coast teenagers who don't know Jesus. BUT we need to preach to more people than just the lost who haven't yet heard it.
My hope is that CCECYOUTH will be known for being a Jesus-Proclaiming, Cross-Centred, Gospel-Guarding youth group where the leaders preach the gospel:
- to themselves daily
- to each other
- to the Christian teens in our program
- to teenagers who don't know Jesus
Jesus died for our sins. He was buried.
Jesus rose. He appeared.
Don't forget it! Keep clinging to Jesus. Are you in danger of assuming, neglecting or denying the goodnews of Jesus? Keep proclaiming Jesus dead, buried and risen to yourself and others.
A-League 0708 Minor Premiership Saturday, January 19, 2008 |
At the start of this round (the final regular season round) the top 4 were all equal on goal difference. This is rare and set up for an exciting finish to the season.
Newcastle won 2-1 last night (watch the goals)
Mariners won 2-0 tonight (watch the goals)
It means that currently Mariners are leading on goal difference over Newcastle.
Sydney and Queensland both have difficult matches tomorrow night (Sunday).
If QLD wins. They will be minor premiers. Sydney have to hope that QLD draw or lose and that they win by 2 or more to beat the Mariners.
My tip: Mariners should make the top 2 (this is important). I think there's a good chance that both Syd and QLD will be pushed hard in their matches - and one of them is bound to slip up. Best scenario is Melbourne drawing or beating Sydney and Adelaide drawing or beating QLD. QLD will probably win with Mariners second.
What's your tip for the A-League minor premiership???
PS. Check out Dale's Blog. He's been ripping it to shreds with sports posts. Go leave him a comment... he's a man longing for more comments!
Friday Foto #3 Friday, January 18, 2008 |
Dan vs Jackson Thursday, January 17, 2008 |
Cafe Del Freeo Wednesday, January 16, 2008 |
The hook, the book, the look, the took Tuesday, January 15, 2008 |
- The Hook - why ought people listen? The hook establishes, in the first minute or two of the talk, why the listener ought to keep listening. This is similar to what David Cook calls the Big or Dominant Question.
- The Book - what the Bible has to say about this situation.
- The Look - helping the listeners to dig deeper into the Bible and what it means.
- The Took - is the 'so what?' How this part of the Bible impacts on the life of the listener.
The hook is important in drawing the listener into hearing from the text. And the hook helps to shape the take-home cash-value 'took' throughout the talk.
What do you think makes a good hook?
For a good look - see the picture above...
(I may have lost weight - but my head's still big!)
Blog Watch #2 Monday, January 14, 2008 |
- Dale wonders if he's gettin ripped off
- Michelle is thinking about a box
- Daniel on Radiohead playin it all for free
- Ben is scared of a cloud
- Chris is good at ranting
- Guthers should really stick it to the man
- James and Anita are going to be dancing with the pressies
- Hayley thinks Will Smith is hot
- Lisa likes colouring-in
- Sam links out to some mature content
- Liam and Liz are poly-linguists
- Steve thinks Ponting is a tool
- Nixter is back in the house
- Duke is surfing in the Blue Mountains
- Rodeo is a vampire
- Soph is not talking about Led Zeppelin
- Craig is on holidays!
- Josh has a new blog name to go with his new job
- Kurt says first impressions last
- Josh isn't Rose
- Lydia smashes is with this song from saturdayEV last weekend (fantastic song)
- Tim smashes it in his latest saturdayEV sermon
- summerfest pics
- 2nd best site on the internet
ps - 2 warm fuzzies if you can identify the location of the above sign...
EDIT: Can't make it to New York in time for church this Sunday??? Watch a New York City Sermon unfold on the blogosphere... The Invisibility of God #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15 from Moff Dogs.
Incredible milestone Sunday, January 13, 2008 |
Matt and Tash's Wedding Saturday, January 12, 2008 |
Friday Foto #2 Friday, January 11, 2008 |
Lifestyle - Kids and the Internet Thursday, January 10, 2008 |
MyKid on MySpace Wednesday, January 09, 2008 |
Stephen vs. Saul/Paul Tuesday, January 08, 2008 |
They get cranky pants. Big time! They gnash their teeth at him and then proceed to play a massive game of stax-on with the nearest rocks they can find.
As they're stoning him, Saul (now known as Paul) is there in the thick of the action. It was at that point that I started thinking about what Stephen and Paul's relationship is like now in the presence of Jesus. Do they have some probs? Does Stephen joke about the time that he got 'stoned'? Does Paul just keep saying "I'm sooo sorry about that..."?
Then I read the next verse: Stephen prays a very Jesus-esque prayer upon death. That prayer is answered in the conversion of Saul, the chief of all sinners.
What are they both doing now? Being stoked in Jesus.
xtreme day 1 - sfest08 Monday, January 07, 2008 |
Testify #1 Sunday, January 06, 2008 |
Check out the Kristy Galea interview
Check out the sermon 'Got the wrong idea about God?'
Subscribe with iTunes
Kristy's interview was great and then Tim spoke against God being:
Summerfest 2008 Saturday, January 05, 2008 |
My program: I'll be MC tomorrow at ccecnitechurch; speaking in the adults tent on "Kids and the Internet" on Wednesday; doing the same talk at the Northern Lakes sfest on Thursday; speaking at the combined youth event on Friday night; and roaming around both of the teens programs throughout the week.
The following Sunday we begin our summer series' in church. Morning: The Unique Challenge of Jesus. Nite: Wisdom for Life. saturdayEV begin a great series today called 'Testify'.
The following week nitechurch will be running Cafe Del Freeo on 17th & 18th Jan.
Good times ahead. Pray. Come. Rock on.
PS - I spoke at the Toowoon Bay Beach Mission Camper's Concert last night. They have been doing a killer job at proclaiming Jesus!
Friday Foto #1 Friday, January 04, 2008 |
Welcome to 2008 Tuesday, January 01, 2008 |
Trust Jesus in 2008.
Read, remember and pray Sunday, December 30, 2007 |
In response to Psalm 119 it's having a heart that treasures God, His Word and obeying it more than life itself. In order to treasure God and His Word, we need to plan to spend time with him to hide his word in our hearts.
Following are some practical tools to help you: Read it, Remember it and Pray it.
- CCEC Daily Reading notes
- McCheyne reading plan (this looks like a great resource!)
- Free Don Carson Devotional through email - sample - based on McCheyne plan (Row and I do one of these columns each night)
- Search for "Bible" in iTunes - look under "Audiobooks" to find the whole Bible for a bargain price - listen to the Bible on your iPod.
- Click 'listen' at the top of any passage to listen for free online - I've just started using this - it's great!
- Navigators topical memory system (you can buy their cards or make your own based on their verses)
- Fighter Verses from John Piper
- Memory Verse Songs for Adults
- Remember whole books of the bible
- Free email-based Bible memory program
- Pray in response to the verses you read
- Pray in response to the verses you remember
- Don't close your Bible when you pray, but let the priorities of the Bible shape your priorities in prayer.
- A Call to Spiritual Reformation - a good book showing Paul's priorities in prayer
Share them in the comments...
Extreme Scripture Memory Saturday, December 29, 2007 |
My memory is often elephant-like in it's ability to retain and use individual Bible verses. I'm thinking that I might have a crack at remembering a 1 or 2 books of the Bible next year. There are some that I can already recite large slabs of such as Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians that might be good ones to start with.
Can you remember entire books of the Bible? Check out the following article for some good tips on how to do it well.
An Approach to the Extended Memorization of Scripture
How Can Christians Explain Truth to Others? Friday, December 28, 2007 |
Hiding God's Word in your heart Thursday, December 27, 2007 |
I've been challenged to "not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Deut 8:3 and Matt 4:4).
The following is one way that the Psalmist seeks to feed upon the word of God:
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11Jerry Bridges says that one of the ways that the Holy Spirit guides is by recalling to our minds scriptures that we have memorised. Maybe he said that so Navigators could sell more memory verse cards! My guess is that it's based more on Ephesians 6 and being armed with the Sword of the Spirit - which is the Word of God.
Here are 3 systems that might be helpful in arming yourself:
- Navigators Topical Memory System. I have completed the first set of these verses which is about 60 verses. There are a bunch of other sets that I haven't completed. If you don't buy their cards... just use the verses they have on the above page and make your own cards.
- Bethlehem Baptist Church (John Piper) - Fighter Verses. They do this system of over 500 verses as a church. Check the link above to find out more about how they do it, including subscribing to a Podcast with verse of the week. You can also buy the full set for super cheap from Desiring God.
- Forever Grateful Music - Scripture Memory Songs by Mark Altrogge. CraigS has started using these and says that they are gold. Check out some of their samples and then order some CD's if all goes well.
Do you read the newspaper or the Bible first thing in the morning?
Delight in the Word of God. Be passionate about it. Remember it. Hide it in your heart.
Do you use a system for remembering verses? Which one? What's it like??
Johnston Christmas 2007 Wednesday, December 26, 2007 |
Jesus - King and Saviour Tuesday, December 25, 2007 |
Christmas Issue of J-Walk Monday, December 24, 2007 |
Here it is amigo...
Joga Bonito Sunday, December 23, 2007 |
Missed it? Watch video 2 & 3 below... or video 1 for just the goals.
Central Coast Mariners V Sydney FC - Goals - 22dec07
CC Mariners V Sydney FC - 1st Half Highlights - 22dec07
CC Mariners V Sydney FC - 2nd Half Highlights - 22dec07
I think that Brosque was offside when Vukovic was deemed to handle the ball outside the penalty area, so shouldn't have been given a red card. Also I think that both keepers made errors that lead to goals. Had both teams had their first choice keepers on the field, the score would have been lower.
But no complaints from this A-League fan!